- Position Type: Full time
- Location: The PFA has facilities and offices in Manchester and London. We are flexible in terms of where the ‘home’ office will be
- Salary: Competitive remuneration package
PURPOSE AND SCOPE
We are excited to be recruiting for a Legal Counsel, who will provide legal support to the PFA across a full range of legal matters.
The Legal Counsel will work closely with the General Counsel and the Assistant Chief Executive in the team, and provide legal advice to the Player Services team, Head of Women’s Football, Head of Youth Advisory and other stakeholders as required. The successful candidate will have responsibility for their own files and matters, but will also work collaboratively across the organisation as required.
- Delivering practical legal advice across the full range of the PFA’s legal requirements.
- Advising on employment law matters relating to PFA members, including settlement agreements, disciplinaries, grievances, rule breaches and disputes.
- Advising on the operation of football’s rules and regulations in the context of player representation, in relation to both Men’s and Women’s football, including Youth Advisory.
- Drafting and negotiating a range of contracts in all areas of the PFA’s operations, including commercial/partnership agreements, funding agreements, supply/services agreements (for example, technology contracts, property lease agreements etc).
- Advising on data protection and intellectual property (including brand protection) issues.
- Working on internal policies and procedures to ensure the highest standard of governance is maintained.
- Executing additional or ad hoc tasks as required in order to meet the PFA’s changing priorities.
SKILLS AND REQUIREMENTS
- England & Wales Qualified Lawyer – Between three and five years’ post qualification experience (including relevant experience in private practice (preferably top national or international law firm) and/or experience at a sports organisation or club).
- Must be able to demonstrate a strong understanding and knowledge of UK employment law, in particular the specificities linked to football contracts.
- Ability to demonstrate clear, concise and practical written and oral legal advice, which includes drafting, negotiating and interpreting a range of contracts and ancillary documents.
- Able to cope with pressurised situations and tight timeframes whilst maintaining a professional approach.
- Approachable and low-ego personality.
- Strong organisational and interpersonal skills.
- High level of integrity and confidentiality.
- Experience of working in football, either in-house, secondment or having had football clients in private practice.
- Experience of drafting and negotiating commercial agreements.
- Experience of data protection and intellectual property law.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please email an up-to-date CV, Covering Letter (which expresses your motivation for the role and highlights your relevant experience) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date for applications is: 14 October 2022
The PFA is an equal opportunities employer. Our employment policies for recruitment ensure that no job applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of age, disability, gender re-assignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.