The PFA and the PFA Charity are doing all that we can to support current and former professional footballers during the outbreak of the COVID-19 virus.
We have held urgent meetings involving senior PFA staff and charity trustees to discuss how best we can support players, clubs and the leagues during these exceptional circumstances.
Supporting all professional footballers current and former will always be our top priority.
If you need advice about your contract, including all matters relating to payment of salary, please contact the PFA Delegate Liaison department in the first instance - call: 0161 236 0575.
If you are experiencing financial difficulties as a result of coronavirus pandemic, the government have committed to a range of protections to help people through this uncertain time.
The following links will help you find information about the support available:
Money Advice Service
Practical advice and information in relation to areas such as: mortgage holidays (including specific information from different lenders), what to do if you are struggling with utility bills, credit card debt and car finance payments. Support is available via telephone, WhatsApp and Web chat.
Mortgage, Rental and Council Tax
We would advise that you contact your mortgage provider or other creditors to discuss payment holidays, as many organisations have now made this a possibility.
- Mortgage holidays: gov.uk/government/news/payment-holidays-offered-to-help-to-buy-homeowners-affected-by-covid-19
- Support for renters: gov.uk/guidance/government-support-available-for-landlords-and-renters-reflecting-the-current-coronavirus-covid-19-outbreak
- Council Tax relief: gov.uk/government/news/government-confirms-500-million-hardship-fund-will-provide-council-tax-relief-for-vulnerable-households
Statutory Sick Pay, Universal Credit and New Style Employment
How to access Statutory Sick Pay, Universal Credit and New Style Employment and Support Allowance: turn2us.org.uk/get-support/Benefits-and-Coronavirus
Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme
- Updated employee support via the Job Retention Scheme and increased benefit support: gov.uk/government/news/chancellor-announces-workers-support-package
- The Scheme has been extended for a further month to cover June: gov.uk/government/news/chancellor-extends-furlough-scheme-to-end-of-june
- The Scheme is now open for employers to apply: gov.uk/guidance/claim-for-wages-through-the-coronavirus-job-retention-scheme
- You can also find the latest information about claiming benefits and coronavirus here: understandinguniversalcredit.gov.uk/coronavirus/
The Benevolent Fund
The Benevolent Fund provides benefits to those in appropriate need. We are mindful that we must be fair to all applicants and we try to provide support for as many eligible beneficiaries as we can.
In addition to the options above, if you are facing financial hardship and require support, we encourage you to consider making an application for financial assistance through our Benevolent Fund.
Usually we look to support if:
- You are at immediate risk of losing your home;
- You have third parties trying to recover debt, and you cannot pay;
- Are experiencing hardship.
How to apply
The PFA and the PFA Charity will always do our utmost to protect all current and former professional footballers – to make an application to the PFA Charity's Benevolent Fund: click here