PFA Education supports members towards learning, training and education to help them develop their own personal development path to enhance career prospects. We offer comprehensive support which includes career advice, educational workshops and grants/bursaries towards the achievement of recognised qualifications. The Education Department has set up a number of exclusive courses for members as well as sponsoring a range of taster programmes in different industries. Each year the PFA provides around 1,500 grants/bursaries totalling approximately £2m.
PFA members can be found employed across a diverse range of sectors. This includes pilots, financial advisors, doctors, HGV drivers, electricians, plumbers, personal trainers as well as those in football related roles such as physiotherapy, sports science, sports journalism, football governance and coaching, all of whom have been supported by the PFA.
The Personal Development Manager (PDM) will be responsible for supporting players at identified clubs providing a personalised person-centred support service that helps players through key transitions in their lives. It facilitates learning and personal development and helps players to maximise their potential as footballers and people in their preparation for life beyond playing.
- Salary: Competitive remuneration package plus benefits and car allowance
- Department: Reporting to the PDM Support Manager and Director of Education. Normal hours 9am – 5pm. Hybrid working.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with PFA delegates, club staff (Education & Player Care officers) and members.
- Provide members with individual personal development planning support.
- Provide informed advice and guidance about future careers, qualifications, and pathways.
- Deliver, facilitate and support all core education activities including presentations and workshops.
- Organise transition and networking events with local and national employers, recruiters & alumni.
- Attain and demonstrate a robust knowledge of all PFA services and benefits to all stakeholders.
- Attend regular internal meetings contributing ideas and initiatives for improvement.
- Undertake appropriate CPD as directed by the Director of Education and PDM Support Manager.
- Understand, explore and connect with regional recruitment and employer markets.
- Undertake other occasional duties or cross curriculum projects as reasonably requested.
- A passion for football and an understanding of the work of the PFA.
- An in-depth understanding of the issues facing high performers, the impact on their welfare and wellbeing and the challenges of career change.
- Excellent knowledge of academic and vocational qualifications along with career pathways.
- To demonstrate flexibility and the ability to work on multiple projects.
- To adopt an ethical and non-judgmental approach at all times.
- An ability to speak publicly and deliver presentations to a group.
- Ability to form positive relationships at all levels and across stakeholders.
- Strong organisational and interpersonal skills.
- High level of integrity and confidentiality.
- Full UK driving license.
- Undergraduate or postgraduate degree in related field.
- 1-2 years’ experience working in a related field.
- Level 2 Certificate in Counselling Skills or working towards.
- Level 3 Talented Athlete Lifestyle Support (TALS) or working towards.
- Other qualifications in career advice and/or career coaching/mentoring.
- Experience of supporting people across a range of transitions, educational and vocational pathways.
How To Apply
To apply, please email an up-to-date CV and covering Letter (which expresses your motivation for the role and highlights your relevant experience) to firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date for applications 31st January 2023.
The PFA is an equal opportunities employer. Our employment policies for recruitment ensure that no job applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of age, disability, gender re-assignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.